Yoga asana (the poses) that we practice in class or on our own, are simply the surface of the oh so powerful world of yoga. It is the greatest way to walk through the door and into the amazing world of being yoga and not just doing yoga. As Sri T Krishnamacharya says - “ Yoga is the process of replacing old patterns with new
and more appropriate patterns.
” Our lives are ever evolving and so shall our yogic lifestyle. Practice on fellow yogis! Practice on and off the mat, come home to yourself.
Here are some simple tips on how to bring the other limbs of yoga into your daily
We begin by learning about our external ethics (Yamas). It is simply knowing and
acting on what’s right and what’s wrong.
- Replace hurt or violence (to others and yourself) with compassion. It
takes courage - a lot of it - to look deep enough to see the quiet ways in which it
is better to use compassion.
- Would your soul rather be real or appear perfect? Know your truth and
live it. It may not feel safe at first, however you will quickly come to know it feels
real. Be your unique self.
- Live a life of integrity. Our highest level of self cannot shine through if
we steal our light from others or other places.
May 7, 2017
- Ask yourself, what are you over indulging in? Too much is
simply too much. Clear the clutter, release the junk, soften the density of blocking
energies within you.
- Realize nothing is permanent and clinging onto things as if they
were possessions will only lead to fear, worry and a sense of scarcity. Remember
expectations will only create limitations.
Moving onto the Niyamas now, we focus on our internal ethics, the foundation of
stepping into our brightest light.
- purify your thoughts, your intentions, your self talk. The best form of a
- Feel and know immense gratitude for all that you already have and
all that you have created. Love your life wherever you may be.
- Hang in there! remind yourself how strong and courageous you really are
as you walk through the fire, or have those days of needing to dig deep.
- What do you need to either release or bring into your life so you can
truly know you? Fall in love with learning about YOU!
- Ishvara Pranidhana
- Surrender! Surrender! Surrender! Trust the flow of your life.
Instead of trying to control, begin to simply pay attention.
The remaining limbs or gifts we can gain from in a daily yoga life are; Asana
- our physical practice, what we know as yoga on the mat. Pranayama
- A practice of mindful breathing. Pratyahara
- looking inward by withdrawing from outside influences. Dharana
- Cultivating concentration, focusing your thoughts.
Dhyana - A practice of mediation, as familiar to many as an asana practice. Samadhi
- Sweet sweet bliss! Spiritual illumination and a sense of oneness with all.